Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Praying With One Eye Open

We have a saleswoman at Pure Line Seeds and she is also an ordained minister for a non denomiational church. I love this woman. She is from Oklahoma and has the most southern accent I've ever heard. She kind of reminds me of Paula Dean. She always greets us with a big hug and kiss on the cheek. Everyone she meets gets greeted like this. She is good in sales because she is so friendly and personable, everyone loves Penny. She is also very religous and a "Praise the Lord" lady. She has had a rough life but once she turned her self over to the Lord she is a changed woman. She is always giving me a bad time because if I'm ever stressed she tells me to trust the Lord, put my faith in the Lord. She's not afraid to show her religion. Unlike some of us. About a month ago she came to Warden for our Pea trial show. She had just returned from Jeruselem and was really spiritual. She even brought me a cashmere shawl from there. She really is a special woman and I am amazed at her faith and spirit for all she has been through.She is such an example to me. Well while she was here she took me to the Corral Resturant in Warden for lunch. The Corral was packed that day and people coming and going. I know pretty much everyone who comes in there. She decided we needed to join hands and she would bless the food. Out loud! Now, I am a religious person and I do bless the food-- at home. Why is it hard for us to bless our food in public. Well, I kept one eye open - watching out -- secretly hoping no one I knew would see us. It was a beautiful prayer and I am ashamed I can't be that open. She knows I am Mormon and I try to be a good example but I learned a lesson that day. She is a better example of a Christlike person than I will ever be. She's not afraid or ashamed to thank the Lord or praise the Lord. How would you have reacted in this same situation? Would you have prayed with one eye open afraid someone would see?

3 comments:

Mishelle Noyes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mishelle Noyes said...

I think it is good to pray before a meal. Giving thanks to our Lord for providing nurishment and blessing the food. I see people all the time come into Perkins and bless their food. BUT I also feel that it should not be a moment of enterainment or a time to be boastful about the fact that you are not shy or ashamed of the fact that you like and can pray in public. Prayer is a sacred time. A simple folding of the hands and head bowed in humbleness and eyes closed would be suffice. If your words are muttered in silence then that's ok. If you pray outloud then that's ok. As long as the main fact is that you are humble and meek about it. Thanking the good Lord above for your blessings.It's kind of like breastfeeding in public. Do we have the righ? Yes. Should we keep ourselves modest about it? Yes! Why? For respect for ourselves and those around us. It is a moment between you and the Lord. We don't just rip our shirt off, whip the girls out there and be boastful about it. We do it descretly and modestly because it is a respectful and humble moment. Kind of why we don't have a band at church or scream and wail at church. Even though we are excited about our blessings, in the moment when we are connecting with Heaven, it needs to be a humble and sacred moment. Not a moment of loud, boastrious outbursts.

Jennifer said...

Reminds me of Kai. We were at a restaurant and we sat down and he said." uh mom are you forgetting the prayer" I was quickly humbled and pleased that my small child saw nothing wrong with giving thanks no matter the location. So we prayed. I was thankful of his example. And took the opportunity to tell him how happy that made me and also along with what Michelle said. That it is a humble moment we take to thank the Lord. I too get worried about others when it comes to publicizing my religion. But my kids are helping with getting over that. Lol glad it isn't just me sometimes. It does warm my heart to know there are people out there that love showing thanks even if in their own way. At least their doing it. Sort of like people not of our faith. Church goers in general. May not be LDS or know what more they could have by coming to our church. At least they go and praise the Lord somewhere. Blessings will come. This is a great story. Thanks for sharing. Food for thought.