Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Blast From The Past

I hate class reunions. Maybe its because I had some of my most embarassing moments in high school or maybe its because I do not resemble in any way shape or form the person I was in high school. But this year the class of 1970 invited several former classes to their reunion and against my better judgement - at the last moment- I decided to go. I didn't have time to lose 50 lbs. I didn't have time to get a new outfit that made me look skinny and I didn't have time to worry about who was going to be there. Ed and I were one of the first ones there and imagine my suprise when I picked up one of the old annuals on display from 1967 and it was mine! I can't imagine how come I didn't miss my own annual all these years. It was autographed by all my old classmates. It was like reading them for the first time. Another suprise of the evening was when my old boyfriend and his wife walked in. They saw me before it was too late to hide or runaway. As it turned out we had a wonderful visit catching up on our families. Other friends came that I didn't know was coming and some I hadn't seen for 41 years. Some I didn't recognize and some hadn't changed much. We talked and laughed and reminised and I could hardly wait until the next night when we met again - both times in the school cafeteria of all places. The next night we all showed up with pictures of our families - which both nights seemed to be the most important topic of most of my friends. I guess it didn't matter that I had gained tons of weight, that I had wrinkles and bags and sags, it didn't matter that I still lived in Warden after 41 years - it didn't matter that I wasn't the most popular girl in high school all those years ago and it didn't even matter that my old boyfriend was there with his skinny wife. What mattered is that I wouldn't change a thing about my life now. I would like to be skinny but other than that I have a wonderful husband and a wonderful family a good job. My life is good.

1 comment:

Mishelle Noyes said...

I agree! You are awesome!