Wednesday, January 20, 2010

New Year - New Goals

So its been an exciting New Year already hasn't it. Abby getting married New Years Eve and new babies being born & blessed. Spring weather in January. Wouldn't life be so dull if nothing new (good or bad) ever happened. Well, for my New Year's resolution I decided to pick something besides losing weight. I'm on a constant diet and will be for the rest of my life. Lose then gain, lose then gain. Ho Hum. So my New-New Years resolution is to become financialy fit. To start with I am cutting the pork spending as John McCain would say. I have thrown away so much food that I bought with intentions of using and it gets lost in the fridge or I don't have "all the ingredients" for a recipe. You know thoses drawers in the bottom of the fridge called "the crispers" - well ours are called "the rotters" cause thats what happens there. So,last weekend I made a menu & shopping list for this week. I went to Walmart for my shopping. The trick was to not leave the food section. My eyes kept veering towards the clothes and electronics but I kept control of my shopping cart and only bought what was on my list. To help matters out, Ed stayed in the car. I couldn't believe how much lower my walmart receipt was. Now, I realize things will come up, such as unplanned company for dinner and you only planned fish for 2 and your husband has asked his 3 big sons to come for dinner and help him on a project. Thats where you improvise and thankfully have hamberger in the freezer and yes I did have to buy buns. But all in all it has worked out good so far. Its actually alot like going on a diet. It takes alot of self control to stick to the menu and shopping list. I have to actually "cook" which is a whole new goal in itself but I think its going to be good. Of course we're only on day 4 - but I have high hopes for this one. What will I do with all the extra money I save . . . hmmmmmm.

2 comments:

Mishelle Noyes said...

Mothers always know best! I like how you compress everything into a simple picture! Good luck! There are websites I like to go to that have a whole month planned out for you and you can print off the shopping list so you can print it and go straight to the store. I use www.monthlyfoodplanner.com . It has new ideas for meals too. Like cheesy chicken enchiladas or "not your momma's chili"

AOlson said...

Way to go Lorrie!! I think that is great!! Planning out your week and not having to go the store five different times for one item is so nice. I hope things keep going well for you:)