Friday, January 29, 2010

Sad Story

I heard the saddest thing last night and can't seem to get it off of my mind. We went to Jacob's pinewood Derby last night (and by the way Jacob - you were awsome!) Its interesting to go to another town & ward and see how they do things. There are always kids running around crazy. But across from us sat a young man holding a little girl. Amy was just put in as the "compassionate Service" person in her ward and she told me the story about this young man. Well he was young to me. Probably about my boys age. He has 4 children - the oldest 8 - 2 weeks ago his wife just decided she didn't want to be a wife and a mom anymore and she left them all. Now its true that I don't know all of the story but I don't understand how a mom can leave her kids. Everyone needs to get away once in a while but how can you stop loving your family? I watched as this man held his daughter, helped his son race his car and attended to the other 2 boys. He is a good dad. Amy said that the ward was trying to help him with babysitting and things because he has to work. This story has broke my heart. I have heard other stories similar to this and it has made me think back to when my kids were young. They totally drove me nuts. And some days I didn't want to do it anymore. But then there was a good day and it gave me strength to go on. Ed has always told me when I was ready to give up on many things, "give it a day or two and it will be better." And it always is. There were many days we didn't have any money, but we had a warm house and plenty of potatoes. There were lots of nights without sleep, and days without naps, and a husband working long hours for us. I didn't appreciate them as much as I should have back then. Now - that my kids are grown with kids of their own and we watch them be good responsible adults - I know that it was all worth it. Where would they be if I had given up or Ed had given up. The sacrifices that you are making now for your children will determine who they will be when they grow up. You are building adults. And its a big hard job. Hang on, Hang on, it will all be worth it someday. I promise.

No comments: