Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Adventures of Ed & Lorrie

I thought about writing a book "The Adventures of Ed & Lorrie" because lets face it, we have alot of those. It might be funnier if my name was Mable but thats beside the point. I'm sure you think I make some of these stories up but honestly our life is a comedy. Sometimes its not funny to us - but when we tell other people - they laugh. Like the other day when we decided to go to Tri Cities and look at cars. Ours has alot of miles on it but it was in perfectly good shape. I emphasize "was". We knew it wasn't good for a trade in but maybe someone would be looking for a great "older" van. Ed was tired and so being the kind wonderful wife that I am I offered to drive so he could nap on the way. Now, I have driven in and out of our garage at least twice a day for 4 years without any problems. I have even driven with Ed in the passenger seat but for some reason on this particular day Ed thought he needed to tell me how to back out of the garage. As I proceeded to back out Ed told me I was too close to the door on his side. So I pulled forward and turned the steering wheel to back up again, he again told me I was too close, so I pulled forward and turned the wheel the other way and because his head was in the way and I assumed he would tell me if I was too close and he was making me nervous I started to back out, he didn't say anything so I kept backing out and pushed the garage door remote closer. We were half way out of the garage and I hit the retaining wall on Ed's side and stopped - as I looked forward to pull forward the garage door was on its way down. I couldn't go forward and I couldn't go backward. So I threw my hands in the air and waited for the garage door to hit the front hood. Its an old door and doesn't have the sensor that tells it "I'm not out yet!!" So after it hit the hood it raised back up and I was able to pull back in the garage. This scene was straight out of an "I Love Lucy" episode. I waited for Ed to yell at me but he just got out and looked at the damage, then got back in and said "Now there are dents in the car." So I said "So I guess we aren't going car shopping?" I guess he Knew I was plenty mad at myself for both of us. We did end up going to town but not to look at cars. A couple of weeks later we did sell the van dents and all. Now we have a smaller van and I don't think I'll have any trouble backing out of the garage. You never know though, Stranger things have happened!

No comments: