Saturday, November 20, 2010

How much food does it take?!

I was checking out of Walmart today with my 40 lbs. of potatoes and the conversation with the checker went something like this: "Why are you buying so many potatoes?" answer " Well I'm in charge of the potatoes for Thanksgiving" "Why do you need so many?" Well we have a large family." That many for just your family? Yes How many family members do you have? Oh about 75. 75?!!!! Your immediate family? yes. Where do you eat Thanksgiving dinner? Well we used to eat it in one of our homes but now we go to a community center. Oh my gosh, I can't even imagine feeding that many people! How many turkeys do you have? -----The questions went on and on and I felt sorry for the people behind me but they seemed to be in shock as well. Ed and I were not going to be here this year for Thanksgiving, we were driving to Kansas to pick up the family tractor that was gifted to him. Thank goodness he got on the internet and found someone to haul it up here for less than we could drive there and back. I have to admit that I was thinking it was time that we split into families and do our own dinners this year. Because of our enormous numbers. I was just going to have ours before we went to Kansas. But thanks to Rick and Sharon the dinner will go on as usual. I know the year will come when we won't be able to all get together for Thanksgiving - but I'm sure mom is very pleased that Rick and Sharon took on the challenge to make it happen. Its not an easy one for sure! Thanks!

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Oh yay! I couldn't imagine Thanksgiving without the Olson clan there!

Chad and Jaycie said...

Hey Lorrie, I was going to say on Sunday that if you want to send some potatoes home with Chad, we can help. That is an aweful lot to do for a 60 year old woman! ;) jk