Friday, March 13, 2009

Like Sands thru the hour glass . . .

"So are the days of our lives." Isn't life like a soap opera sometimes or at least full of lots of drama & excitment. Not always the good kind and not always the romantic type. Grandma Cox and I were talking and I asked her "looking back over the years what was her favorite time of life? When her kids were all little, when they were in high school or when it was just her and dad? The reason I asked her this was because I was having a really hectic week and I was reminising back in time when the kids were all little and I didn't work. We didn't have any money but I loved being at home. I thought " yeah, thats where I'd like to be." Then I started remembering the sick kids, the kids who cried all night, the 5 kids that slept with us forever, and how I couldn't wait until they grew up. I remembered the time Ed came home one day and Brian and Kevin had dumped everything out of the cupboards onto the floor, flour, sugar, cereal. He found me in the bedroom crying with the twins. So fast forward to high school years. That was a fun time. Basketball games, cheerleading, Jr. Miss, and I thought "now that was a great time in our lives," and then I remembered sitting up all night waiting for kids to come home, wondering where they were and who they were with, doing laundry all night so the kids could get their sleep,(even though I had to work the next day)Staying up day and night building a float for Jr. Miss and spending our whole summer traveling to parades, And now here we are all alone, and its a good time too. We love to see our kids and grandkids but they are busy with their families. Mom dittoed everything I said. Each season has its really great times and its hard times. And we survive - even though sometimes we think we can't make it another day. Another day comes and we plow thru and pretty soon the family is grown and gone. And we wish we could do it all over again. Kind of like a roller coaster ride. We forget the hard times and remember the good times. The hardest part is losing your companion and being alone. Just ask mom. She needs us now. Its lonely at the top. If you have a free moment (I know they're rare these days) drop by or give her a call. Being alone might sound great when your surrounded by chaos but its not so great when its your only choice. And most important of all "Love the time your in, you can't go back!"

2 comments:

ab5cgang said...

Thank you. I was just trying to remember to enjoy the journey today as I listen to my children fight. But the sun is shining and we are healthy. Just loud.
We all love Grandma and I know we could do better.

AOlson said...

That was really good to read Lorrie. Thank you. I can truly say that we are definately enjoying the time we are in right now. It is so fun and crazy and loud and busy, but we love it. We need to do better with staying in touch with loved ones. Hope you had a great weekend.