Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"If I Only Had A Brain"

I haven't blogged this week because I have been so busy. Jaycie said she wished I would blog everyday. I can't even imagine it. Plus I have writers block often. But all of you women who don't work-thank your lucky stars! I know you are just as busy as everyone else - I was a stay at home mom once. Oh those were the good ole days. The only person I had to account to was Ed. If I made a big mistake we would scream at each other and that would be it. Of course I never made too many mistakes - an overdraft once in a while or washing & drying his favorite wool sweater.(I didn't know a piece of clothing could shrink that small.) I backed into a car once but Ed just laughed and told me to run for it. But when you work for someone else you have to account to someone higher up for your actions. Someone you can't scream at. (Especially if you want to keep your job.) Last week we loaded a train car with 185,000 lbs of seed for Canada and I have to do all the paperwork on line to release the train. The paperwork for trains has become so complex since 9/11- they want to make sure you aren't shipping explosives or drugs over the border. Well Monday when I got to work they were calling and saying our train was in limbo in Wisconsin because my paperwork wasn't right. I had shipped the train to Wisconsin not Canada and they wanted $825.00 to just get the train back to the right track to go to Canada. I had to call my boss and tell him my mistake and tell him how much it would cost. I waited for him to tell me that they would have to take it out of my pay check, well, a couple of pay checks but he didn't. In fact he was very understanding. I am lucky to have a good boss. But it doesn't take away the feelings of stupidity I feel for making the mistake even though there are lots of reasons the mistake could be made. It could be worse though, I could be a surgeon and make a mistake. You just don't want to hear "oops" from too many occupations. I do envy you women who don't have to work though. I am looking forward to that day again!

1 comment:

Mishelle Noyes said...

somedays i want to quit and go work as a checker at Walmart! It would be sooooo easy!! No paperwork just clock in, run a bunch of things over the beeper, take money put money into a drawer and them check out! But what would Pure line seeds do with out you? They adore you! My boss doesn't come down and take me out to dinner ever!! They love and appreciate you!