Sunday, March 15, 2009

"Sleepless In Seattle"

When I opened a Christmas gift from Mishelle and saw that it was a ticket to "Time Out For Women" I was estatic. When I saw it was in Seattle my excitement turned to terror. I am scared of Seattle. Its so big and driving in Seattle brings back horrific memmories of the only times I have been there. People do not tolerate outsiders on the freeways there. But the time came to go and so we set out with Ed's girlfriend, G.P.S. - Mishelle and her map quest printout and Rachael as the lookout and me the designated driver.(I know thats such a scarey thought to everyone who knows I don't even drive in Spokane) We actually made it in record time with time to eat dinner before Fri.nites program. I have never understood how I could raise a daughter so opposite of me. She's out going, I'm reserved, She's unafraid, I'm cautious of everything, she's an optomist, I'm a pessimist with a capital P. And most importantly of all she's a spender and I'm the queen of tight wads.(ask all my children, they will verify.) We stayed in the fanciest hotel with doorsmen, valet parking,consierge. I knew we would be tipping so I brought a bunch of ones, but I guess $5's are the norm. Eck!!! We were just a block from the Building where the meeting was so we decided to walk-Mishelle just knew there would be a place to eat close by. But by the time we found a place to eat we were several blocks away and had to run all the way back to get there in time. (I don't run) We stopped long enough to buy a $6.50 strawberry the size of an apple dipped in chocolate. It was worth it. After a wonderful evening at the conf. Mishelle & Rachael decided we should go to The Cheese Cake Factory. The next thing I knew Mishelle was hailing a cab and off we went. It was delicious. It was now about 11:00 pm downtown Seattle and we decided there were lots of people walking around so we would walk back to our Hotel, even though we were'nt sure where it was. So we set out, "I told them Dad would just be furious if he knew I was walking around Seattle this late at night" The farther we went the less people we saw and it was so cold. Mishelle & Rachael kept telling me it was just an adventure. A ferry ride is an adventure, walking the streets at night in Seattle could be a CSI story. But we made it and when we got to the Hotel our beds were all turned down for us. Sat. morn. it was pouring rain. So Mishelle hailed us a cab to take us a block & he drove several blocks and dropped us off at the back of the building so we had to run thru the rain to find the entrance.(but it was an adventure) At noon 1500 women were looking for a place to eat and Mishelle thought there was a Red Robin down by Pikes Market. So we started our trek down to the warf. It was all so exciting but no Red Robin. A man was waving people into a cafe at the top of the stairs. We climbed 3 flites of stairs and the cafe was packed but Mishelle kept walking and we went into the backside of another little resturant at the top of this rickety building that was so quaint and nice. We ate and then had to run all the way back "up hill" to get there in time. But we made it. (she couldn't find a cab) The speakers were wonderful and before we knew it it was over & we were on our way trying to find our way out of Seattle. We were always in the wrong lane to turn but I just put my blinker on and Rachael told me when to stop & go I made people wait to let me get by. I was not missing my exits!! I'm sure Seattle was glad to see us go but it was so fun. After one quick stop at North Bend for gas & a shop or 2- It was snowing like crazy on the pass but we drove slow. I know that Mishelle was sent to me to keep me young - to keep me on the go - to show me how to let go once in a while and just have fun - I'll always be a tight wad and she'll always be a spender but I love her dearly. When she's around there is never a dull moment. My shins are killing me from all the walking but it was worth it. If it wasn't for Mishelle I would have missed so much in life!

4 comments:

Jodie said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast! Thank goodness for Mishelle, Rachael, and Uncle Ed's girlfriend!

Chad and Jaycie said...

You are hilarious! I would never walk the streets of Seattle in the dark either....Mishelle and Rachel are brave! How fun though. I have one request as far as your blogging, do it every day. It's my "Tonight show" in the morning!

Erin said...

Love it! Sounds like a true adventure. I'm glad you didn't end up the star of a CSI show!

Mishelle Noyes said...

that was a fun weekend wasn't it! i still haven't recooperated from all the fun! I can't wait to post the pictures!