Thursday, February 18, 2010

One of the greatest men I ever knew.

Today we celebrate the birthday of one of the greatest men I ever knew. My dad.He was a great dad, so patient and tolerent. When I think of the things us kids used to do its a wonder we're still alive. We rode the tractor anywhere we could hang on, we rode on the grader, the combine, the hay sled, the back of the pick up and trucks, standing up, hanging out, nothing I would have let my own kids do. But we had a great time. We built forts in his hay stacks, towns and roads in his corn rows, and dams in his ditches. The only time I remember him getting mad at me, in fact I got a slap, was when I was disrespectful one time. I deserved it but it hurt most because he was mad at me. I remember going to Curlew lake in the back of a truck. We rode all the way there standing in the back of the truck - wind blowing our hair - singing and shouting at cars going by. No seat belts to tie us down and restrict our fun-ness! He was a great dad but an even greater grandpa. He loved seeing his grandkids. And he loved taking all the grandsons camping. I will be forever grateful for the love he showed us and Brian when he came home early from his mission. He loved unconditionaly - was honest as the day is long - and could put a smile on anyones face. He loved telling a good joke and had all kinds of little sayings. He gave us all nick names: mine was "Louie", Deby was "Dubbs" Lyn was "Linny Lou" Sharon was "Stubbs" I don't know why I can't remember what Rick and Tom's was. Being a girl did not matter on the farm. We worked in the fields too. Weeding. shoveling, riding the planters and diggers, driving truck, bucking bales. I will always be grateful for dad teaching us how to work and encouraging us to go to school and become prductive. I see my dad in all of the grandsons and happy they are carrying on his wonderful traits. (sorry about some of your balding heads) But wasn't he the greatest. We miss you and love you dad. Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Mishelle Noyes said...

Some of the memories I have of him are that he alway smelled like cloves and peppermint. When ever we rode with him he was always listening to talks by the prophets. He taught us how to catch salemandors and frogs but we had to put them back where we found them after we were done playing with them. I loved taking walks with him down to the bridge because he talked to us about the good old days. He was just a great guy! Proud to call him Grandpa!

Jodie said...

I will forever be sorry that I never got the chance to meet him. From all the stories I have heard, he definitely sounds like a wonderful man! I cannot wait until the day I finally get to meet him!

Nick and Mischelle said...

YES A VERY GREAT MAN HE IS!!! Being the one that had the most contact with him, well grandchild anyway, It was a great time to grow up...

The memorie that I have the most is the Cox Family reunion in Idaho, Went to Great Grandmas house in Shelly, and it had an odd odor, gas, lol I remember everyone on the pourch outside and Gpa and my Dad fixed it I think, anyway then we went to the mountains for the reunion. I remember that I slept in the cab of the pick up, always had my own room, lol... And then there was horses, I think I even ate on the horse, went on a couple rides with a great uncle to check on the cows, drank water from a stream and ate jerky for lunch, great times.. Then the ride home, Grandpa called me saddle sore for years after that, I remember crying as my back side hurt so bad..

He was a great man and I miss him, so very much, he gave me my 1st ten gallon hat, lol... There is a photo somewhere of it..

Thanks Grandpa, RIP!!!

Todd and Shana said...

I think what I love remembering the most about him is that no matter which grandchild you were, you felt like the favorite when you were with Grandpa. That's a huge feat with 30 grandkids! Mishelle, I loved those walks down to the bridge too, definitely one of my favorite memories of him. I remember those Good and Plenty's he alway had...I'd suck on them until I got to the licorice and then I'd spit them out :)