Monday, May 3, 2010

Mother's Day

Another Mother's Day has finally come when we get to sit in our easy chair and relax for the day while sipping ice cold lemonade and our husband and children wait on us hand and foot . . . ( record scratching sound) What? That doesn't happen at your house?! Mine either. We can dream can't we. I guess our fulfillment comes from knowing that we had children, we didn't lose any of them, none of them have been injured too bad by our mothering technics. Yes Brian still has an enlarged nuckle from a jammed finger in 7th grade because we thought it would heal itself. And there are a few scars that might have healed better if we had taken our kids to the ER at the time of the accident but that was before insurance and even though we did make plenty of trips to the ER anyway, I still think Bag Balm and liquid Lysol are miracle drugs. Externally of course! Kids now days will never know the thrill of being thrown against the dash or back seat of a car when Mother slams on the brakes. They will not know the joy of riding in the back window looking up at the clouds as Mother whizs along on dirt roads. Or the excitement of hanging their heads out of the window going 50 miles an hour. I still remember riding home from church on mom's lap driving the car, she ran the gas & brakes of course. I am sorry but if I had to choose between riding loose in a car or being strapped down like a crimnal waiting for lethal injection - I choose riding loose. Of course there were 6 kids and mom and dad in a sedan. No way you could fit kids car seats in those cars. Seat buckles did not exist. If you rode in the front the only restraint was mother's arm coming across to block you from hitting the dash as she slammed on the break. I know car seats and seat buckles save lives and its the law, but life used to be so much more fun without them. I would like to take this opportunity to say Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful mom and all the moms in our family. It isn't an easy job, But as we watch our kids grow & become good decent adults, we wipe our brow and say WHEW!! So Far So Good! What an awesome responsiblity we have for at least 18 years. Sculpting, modeling and shaping babies to be adults. With the most important tool, "Lots of Love!"

1 comment:

Mishelle Noyes said...

Awweeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! (tear, tear) you are so sweet! Although, (and this is just a secret between you and me)the minute we get into the country I unstrap my children and let them hang out the window and give them lessons on how to operate the car. Cody has gotten quite good I might add. You are a great mom! Always teaching us with love! I give you an A ++