Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lost & Found

I was really afraid I would be writing a eulogy soon for a close, almost, family member. Saturday Ed and I went to Spokane and we left Chessy home. She is always waiting for us on the front porch when we get home but Sat. night she was no where in sight. We called & called for her but nothing. Now I'm not as attached as Ed is to Chessy and I was also sick so I went to bed while Ed kept vigil over the front door. Chessy is not just any old dog. She is Ed's companion and best friend. (Ok I'll admit I'm a little jealous sometimes) Many of you know the story of Chessy - we have had her for 3 years and except for her constant barking at everyone that walks by even if its the same people that walk by everyday - she's a pretty good dog. But to me she is a dog - to Ed she is human. I learned that when he was talking to the police Sunday and telling him that one of our family members , Chessy Olson, was missing. They were all interested until they found out she was a dog and the conversation ended, "we'll call you if we see her" I'm sure their eyes were rolling as well. I needed to go to the walk in clinc on Sunday for my sickness and I thought Ed had stayed home from church to drive me but I know it was really because he was going to go searching for Chessy. He had to put it off until we got back from the clinic. Monday came and went and still no Chessy. This was not like her at all and we were sure she was gone for good. Monday nite was hard for Ed as we realize that she isn't coming back and wondering what the heck happened to her. Tuesday Morning Ed went out and was sitting on the Patio chair when he heard the jingle jangle of Chessy's collar he hollored "Chessy came home"! Yes she's home but she's not the Chessy we know and love. She's quiet and sad. Did someone take her and lock her up, did someone hurt her, did she just get lost? I think this might be the one and only time I wish dogs could talk. What would she tell us? I have to admit that I did miss her (maybe not as much as Ed did) Now maybe we can't get back to normal, well as soon as I get over my bronchitis that has turned into a raging cold & cough.

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Oh my goodness Aunt Lorrie! I didn't know that Chessy was missing. I'm sorry. I hope that she is back to her normal self soon. I hope you feel better! I wondered where y'all were on Sunday.

Mishelle Noyes said...

Awww! Poor Dad! That must have been miserable for him! I'm glad she is home safe and sound! Just like Homward Bound. And what? You are sick? Do you need dinners? I'm coming down there!
Hope you get feeling better!