Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Is it July already?????

Can you believe Christmas is only 6 months away? And the way time is flying Santa will soon be to. Now to get back to July, how are you all spending the holiday? I remember the good ole' days when I was growing up and mom and dad always had a big BBQ with lots of people. One year the canal flooded and our BBQ was cut short with a raging river running thru it. But always a big family event. For the last several years we have had the (joy) of going to demo derbys in Othello. The guys are thrilled but I miss the family BBQ's. We're lucky if we get back in time to watch fireworks. To the guys its a thrilling, exciting, tremendous, exhilirating, fantastic experience. To us (the spectators - meaning me) its a hot, sweltering, exhausting, gas fuming, dusty, dirt throwing, LOUD, event. A long time ago I gave up the idea of vacations on the beaches or holiday cruises, as long as there is a demo derby and a family member racing in it, thats where Ed will be. I realized Ed's obession of Demo Derby's 29 years ago when Mount St. Helen blew and covered his beloved yellow derby car. I pleaded with him to not work on it in the ash, but there he was - mask and all trying to work on his car - for a derby I knew would be canceled. And it was. But right then I knew this was more than a fleeting hobby. And now he has sons who love it as well. Although their wives have a little more control than I have had. I guess I was always afraid of the answer to the question, "the car or me"? So I never asked. Whats a woman to do? So I would like to wish you all a wonderful 4th of July. No matter where you are - or what you are doing - CELEBRATE!

3 comments:

Mishelle Noyes said...

4 th of July is one of my most favorites. Happy birthday Nick! It is also the anniversary of the day Kyle got down on one knee and popped the question and I said yes! What a spectacular day! Good luck with you breakfast!

Chad and Jaycie said...

Oh my...that sounds just like Chad. The last three 4ths the kids and I have spent it away from him because of the darn demo. He reminds me it's better than him spending his time in the bars. So I guess I can't complain. Happy fourth!

Erin said...

Oh the things I have to look forward to!