Monday, June 29, 2009

Thank goodness for my Sister!

I've always thought this job would be easier if there was 2 of me. This last week was what we call "Hell week" at work. Our boss's bring in customers from all over the world and show them our pea fields and varieties. We, meaning me, feed them lunch in the field for 2 days. But this year our boss's decided it would be so great if we added a steak dinner the first night. With all the fixins', and a band. Ok, so it isn't like work stops at the office for this big event. So I hired the best person I could think of to help me. My sister Lyn. They set up a couple of tents on the ditch bank in the dirt and that is where we hold this extravaganza. The wind was blowing and no amount of duct tape would hold the table cloths on the tables and We spent every spare moment wiping dirt off the tables- over & over & over again! As soon as lunch was over we started preparing for the Big dinner.The wind was really whipping up a storm now and so I ran to town to get sides for the big tent. In the meantime Lyn was dicing & slicing and baking & mixing & putting together the dinner. We even got Shana in on the event, even the 2" New York Strip Steaks couldn't compete with the cakes she brought covered with the Pure Line Logo and each piece had a candy pea pod with peas in it. It even impressed the corporate big wigs that were there. The dinner was a huge success "thanks to Lyn" and all of her delicious food. We couldn't even taste the dirt that had blown into the food. As the dinner was ending and the drinking began, we fired up the generator and the JR Swafford band began playing. Our boss's seemed shocked that we could come up with such a great band on such short notice. One of the boss's wife's even joined in with the band singing a couple of songs. As I sat there that night looking down at my filthy feet, tired, and out of energy, knowing that tomorrow we would have to serve them food again, I realized how thankful I was for family. To Shana for making the cake, the GerriAnn and JR for the music, for Ed who was there working along side of me and putting up with my stressful outbursts, and for my sweet sister Lyn. We worked, we laughed, we sweated, we laughed some more. I couldn't have done it without her.

3 comments:

Mishelle Noyes said...

Way to go! You guys need to start a catering company and name it PURE LINE SEEDS CATERING SERVICE, "We grow your peas and help you eat them too!" would be your logo :-) Congratulations on a job well done!

ab5cgang said...

Oh that is so neat. Good team work. I agree that all those people are some of the best people I know. Got to love family.

Todd and Shana said...

LOL, Mishelle you're hilarious ;) Lorrie, I was glad to be able to help, and I'm glad everything turned out well. You and Lyn both looked like you'd been working your tails off.