Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Thoughts From an Old Warden Graduate

I can't believe its been 40 years since I graduated! I graduated on a Friday and started Beauty School in Moses Lake on Monday. Not much time to celebrate. I don't miss school at all. I was not what you would call a model student but I did make the honor roll- barely. My favorite subjects were English and Biology. I hated math and barely passed bookkeeping so what am I doing here at Pure Line as a bookkeeper you ask? I am one of those persons who - once they got out of school - got an education. I took sewing and cooking in home ec but didn't learn how to do either until I got married. My mom sewed my home ec projects. I wasn't good in sports, never tried out for cheerleader, but I did try out for Miss Warden and still have night mares over that one. I would have to say my most embarrasing moment in High School was eating a cookie, baked by the boys in Home Ec, frosted with Ex Lax. I stayed home for 2 days- not because the ex lax worked but because I was too embarrassed to go to school. Such a little thing now but I could have died from mortification at the time. One of the hi-lites of my Senior Year was being Prom Queen chosen by the Junior Class. What a shock for me that was. I was sick with a sore throat,no voice and a terrible headache. Almost didn't go but glad I did. I was so busy at that time with end of school stuff that I didn't even have time to go get a dress. My mom went to Spokane and picked out the perfect one for me. I loved it. I had alot of friends in school but now we hardly talk. Life is funny that way. All I ever really wanted to do in life was get married and have children. Its hard to believe that I'm still living in Warden and working at my age. When I think of my school days I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling. I'm sure my mom was glad to get me out of school also. I loved Beauty School. I love being married and having kids and grandkids. I like where I am right now. I know I learned alot of life's lessons in school and that its a big part of who I am today. What I really miss about school is summer vacation! You never get over that.

2 comments:

Chad and Jaycie said...

I wouldn't go back for anything! I felt like I liked it back then and felt that I was a confident teenager, but I have terrible dreams of insecurity and being back in hs. I love waking up and happy to realize I never have to go through that again and I'm married with kids and they get to go throiugh it! :)

Mishelle Noyes said...

We are so much alike it's scary. Although I do miss High School or maybe just being 16. I liked having you and dad pay for everything and living under your roof and making you worry about the bills and security. 40 years!! Holy Canoli! Well, I'm glad you are where you are I wouldn't have it any other way.