Monday, November 16, 2009

Thanksgiving dinner

The family council met Sunday (yes we have a family council) and made some final decisions on our Thanksgiving dinner. You know when we get this big we have to be organized a little so that everything comes off without a hitch. It only took us about 4 hours to decide to rent the Sr. Center for 4 hours, so you see we put a lot of discussion and thought (and in some cases, raised voices) to come to the final decision. After all the chattering ended this is what we came up with:
We will be renting the center for 4 hours. This has to include setting up and cleaning up - CITY OF WARDEN RULES! So We will start at 1:00 hoping everyone will show up as close to 1:00 as possible. NO one wants to eat cold turkey. All food must come prepared as we won't have a kitchen or electric appliances to cook, beat or boil. There is however, a microwave. The Aunts & Uncles are bringing the main dishes, so we would like all the adult grandkids to bring side dishes and salads. We would like you to bring LARGE salads or side dishes. Think about how many we are feeding. If you don't want to bring one BIG salad or side dish bring 2 smaller. The idea is to have enough food for everyone. At approx. 4:30 we will begin cleaning up.We need to be out by 5:00. I know this sounds so military and kind of takes away from our free for all family events but think of it as having a reservation at a resturant at 1:00 pm except you are bringing the food. We are hoping everyone comes on time so that we can eat at the same time and have all afternoon to eat, visit and watch football on the big screen TV they have there. We do not want this to be an inconvience for anyone and we realize some of you have other family to visit that day. We just wanted to try something different and make it easier this year. Who knows what we will try next year. If you have any questions call me. Looking forward to a great family Thanksgiving.

8 comments:

Erin said...

sounds great!

Chad and Jaycie said...

Do you want to know my opinion? Well probably not, but I'm going to give it anyway......

I LOVE the idea for the senior center. I think it's perfect size and stuff to do for everyone. So if money was an issue, I think that maybe you could have all the adult grandkids like Chad and I give $10 or $15 and then whatever is left to pay then the oldies aka you, Deby, Lyn etc pick up the rest, instead of you oldies picking it all up. So if ten of us grandkids come then there is $150 and there would be just $50 to cover between you oldies. You guys always bring the goods anyways!!!

Besides we are getting an awesome meal out of it. If we were on our own, we would be making a meal that costs way more than $15.

Does that even make sense? Probably not! :)

Unknown said...

it does sound great, and we will for sure be there...yay!

i love that we have a family council, do you think Grandpa was getting a good chuckle out of you guys on Sunday?!!

ab5cgang said...

I am sorry to miss it this year. Sounds like fun.
I do think that the younger parents should also chip in if they can. Like I said I am truely sorry we cant come. I was looking forward to it.

Cox Family News said...

Jaycie, the problem with the grandkids paying is that not all of you come. Some one year and some the next. But I think we will be having a reunion this year and maybe an auction to start a fund for things like this. Thanks for your opinion. I do appreciate your ideas.

AOlson said...

Sounds great! We will be there!

Jodie said...

Aunt Lorrie, I was wondering what the family councils thoughts are on decorating. Nothing extravagant, but I have found some cute ideas. Is there a way that maybe we could have all of the little kids sit at one or two particular tables? I found some little activites for them to do so that maybe it will keep them somewhat occupied. Anyways, that's my 2 cents. The kids and I will be there will bells on!

Cox Family News said...

If you want to do some decorations thats fine. I don't know if the tables are going to be up already or what so if we have to do that it will take time. You guys can have the kids where ever you want them. I'm so glad you are coming up with ideas to make this Thanksgiving even better.
Aunt Lorrie