Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Grandpa Cox's Birthday

February 18th is Grandpa's birthday. I have been thinking about him alot lately. I remember one time when I was little - I was riding the tractor with him and we were way up in the field - it suddenly started to hail and so we got off the tractor and got against a concrete ditch wall and he put tumble weeds over us to protect us. It didn't last very long but we couldn't have stayed out in it. Grandpa was very ingenious I think. The one big birthday party I remember having for Grandpa was when Michael & Mishelle & Shana were about 6 months old. I was pretty much stuck at home with kids and so I decided to have a birthday party at my house for Grandpa. The day before his B-day it snowed and snowed. The next day on his B-day the sun came out and it all melted. We had a big flood at our place. The water all around us was about a foot deep and running like a river. So we called everyone and told them to meet at Grandma & Grandpa's place and Ed picked everyone up there in the big white van. He had a sign on the van "The Love Boat" Then he had a gang plank he put out so you could get from the van to the house. Inside I had decorated the house like Hawaii. I even made a palm tree out of green crepe paper and a coat rack. We put a piece of plywood on cinder blocks and had a luau around it. It just proves you can do anything if you put your mind to it and with not much money either. Those were the good ole' days. I miss Grandpa alot and I'm sure he misses us too, but I know he is happy and anxiously waiting for us all to be together again someday.

2 comments:

ab5cgang said...

Thank you for this post. He is a great man. He welcomed me with open arms. Put me to work picking corn the first time Brent brought me to a family get together. Didn't skip a beat. Happy Birthday Grandpa. We all love you.

Mishelle Noyes said...

Whenever I smell the sweet taste of clove, black licorice and peppermint tea. I miss being at his house and cuddling next to him on the couch. I am so glad I had a Great Grandpa I can have such good memories about! Love ya grandpa!